Monday, March 11, 2013

Trending COP 24/7


COP 24/7  Executive Producer cited with Leadership Award

I am always humbled and some times taken aback when being recognized for my passion and energies to my social justice work. Sometimes I ponder, is this work a "call" on my life?, my determination to leave something as my legacy or am I doing what I ask others to do in "being the change the wish to see." Consequently, I've decided that it's all of them and to my surprise so much more. I was truly proud to stand with my colleagues as a winner of the Dr. Estella Quimosing AIDS Leadership award during the climatic banquet of the 5th Regional HIV/AIDS Conference in Arkansas, March 7-8, 2013, in Hot Springs, Arkansas. (pictured L to R, L. Brown, C. Mabin, K. Johnson, D. Levi, D. Anderson, Rev. D. Robinson, K. Holmes)

The conference hosted by Jefferson Comprehensive Care System under the theme, “Uniting In The Fight To End HIV/AIDS”  highlighted and offered a series of sessions on the epidemic of HIV/AIDS in the South amongst youth, communities of color and employment challenges for those living with HIV and AIDS. Doing double duty, I was a plenary speaker on the topic of "Reaching Gay Men through Social Media," representing The Living Affected Corporation. This was a first for myself and what an experience to share my research on this intriguing topic. As I worked through the presentation to demonstrate the impact and wide ranging importance that social media is playing among gay men, it hit me again that COP 24/7 has been in the "social mix" without really taking stock of it. I've been socially interacting with the LGBTQ community for over seven years always with our focus being on "keeping it real" and "on point." There's more news coming on the digital front and COP 24/7 will be bringing you the latest just shortly.

 The conference was presided by Mrs. Sandra H. Brown, JCCSI Chief Executive Officer and featured Dr. Nate Smith, Deputy Director for Public Health Programs of the Arkansas Department of Health and honored guest Dr. Henry Masters III, MD, Medical Director, Global Medical Affairs of Baxter Healthcare Corporation. The two day event also feature a planned schedule of topics ranging from substance abuse to HIV policy issues.

"Dr. Q" Leadership Award winner, founder and CEO of The Living Affected Corporation, Diedra Levi, lead a workshop on HIV and the LGBT community in which she and Louis Henry of the Capacity Building Assistance Center highlighted key flash points during the AIDS epidemic that has had lasting affects in the gay community. The duo demonstrated the significance of those lost and the manifestations of those challenging times that has subsequently impacted social norms.

 JCCSI was awarded a grant from Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) for the Part D program in August 1999. Part D is unique from other HRSA funded programs because our focus is on women, infants, children, and youth (WICY) and their families who are infected and affected by HIV/AIDS. For more info on The Living Affected Corporation click to www.livingaffected.org

No comments: