Wednesday, July 02, 2008

July Rising

Obama On the Brain



I don't know about you but there's some strangeness going on in the land and it's affect is causing some folks to have a new ailment, "Obama on the Brain." On the front page of Sunday's Democrat Gazette(6/29) was a story about individuals who are amending their middle names to "Hussein" which is apart of Mr. O's given name. Donatella Versace has dedicated her latest clothing collection citing the "bouncing O" as her muse. People riding through the streets in their undergear or no gear in an Obama frenzy, then allegedly some folks are prepared to send their babies to The Obama for a ceremonial "baby kiss."All of this probes the question... What's going on here? Yes, I've added the rainbow " O" logo in solidarity of the presumptive nominee, but I've not renamed my self in his honor nor have I become so moved by his image, message, vision or anything else for that matter that has lulled me into a giddy- galore stupor. Yet, the Obama buzz is in full effect and with all the hype their come haters and the supposedly clueless. Especially the rational from that Japanese mobil phone company who used their "monkey" mascot in a Obamason mash up ad, meanwhile claiming that they didn't realize that the ad might be seen as cultrally insensitive. Say What? Fortunately, the company has since pulled the ad after being called out by locals and CNN. Furthermore, you know my hate-o-meter goes into overdrive on matters of this nature. Especially, those in the GLBTQ community out here in cyberspace who are forwarding and sharing dubious Obama garbage and falsehoods. I'm all for robust debate or discussion, even sarcasm but downright "hate" and such takes me to another level. I realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion in this very opinionated nation, yet I've been disillusioned at the circulation among the lavender set. Not to mention those E-blast I've personally read coming directly from individuals in this area. Wouldn't it be great during this important election cycle, if those who are hiding behind their desktops would come to a meeting, send a donation, or find a positive focus for their energies to empower, educate and propel this needy community forward instead of these tawdry attempt to titilate. I say, enough already.
Senator Obama has some very pointed views on a many topics across the board as would be expected of the next leader of the free world. Therefore, I thought it appropriate to share some of Mr. Obama's words upon reflecting on the GLBTQ community from a past Advocate interview written by K. Eleveld. Listen up citizen voter to skip the BS and stick with the facts.


"I guess my point would be that the fact that I’m raising issues accordant to the LGBT community in a general audience rather than just treating you like a special interest -- that is, sort of off in its own little box -- that, I think, is more indicative of my commitment. Because ultimately what that shows is that I’m not afraid to advocate on your behalf outside of church, so to speak. It’s easy to preach to the choir; what I think is harder is to speak to a broader audience about why these issues are important to all Americans."Eleveld then asked Obama what he "reasonably" expects he could get done "for the LGBT community," if elected president."I reasonably can see "Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell" eliminated. I think that I can help usher through an Employment Non-Discrimination Act and sign it into law," said Obama.Obama said he thinks it will be "tough" to include transgender language in ENDA, characterizing it as a "heavy lift through Congress.""And, obviously, my goal would be to get the strongest possible bill -- that’s what I’ll be working for."Obama said he also believes he can make sure federal employees have equal benefits and that he is "very interested in making sure federal benefits are available to same-sex couples who have a civil union" through repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act.Noting that Clinton has called for repealing only the federal recognition aspect of DOMA because she said the states’ rights section is necessary to ward off a constitutional amendment, Eleveld asked whether he thinks its possible to get repeal of the full law."I don’t know," said Obama. "But my commitment is to try to make sure that we are moving in the direction of full equality, and I think the federal government historically has led on civil rights -- I’d like to see us lead here too."Eleveld noted that Obama and his wife Michelle have spoken about the racism in being told to "wait your turn," then asked "isn’t that what you’re asking same-sex couples to do by favoring civil unions over marriage?"Obama said he doesn’t ask same-sex couples to wait and that he strongly respects the right of same-sex couples to insist on equality. But he said his "perspective is also shaped by the broader political and historical context in which I’m operating."

No comments: