Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Speaking Volumes & More...

There are 278 days left in the year and I'm bracing for the 24/7 news cycles to come. Everyday, I and I mean everyday, it's breaking news on top breaking news that almost makes you want to do a Micheal J. move, by just screaming. But, we persevere as well as continue to sift, wade and endure all the news bits that come our way as we offer our unique brand of coverage for the GLBTQ community and beyond. Heads up people, here comes Speaking Volumes and more...


AIDS in Arkansas: In case you missed it, I posted about a meeting that was held last week concerning the state of HIV/ AIDS services across the state. Unfortunately due to scheduling, I couldn't make the meeting in person. But was e-blasted from advocate B.C., high points and proposals to assist with consumer dissent that has been simmering for some time. I was struck by the broadness of topics and somewhat befuddled that certain items hadn't already been placed in operation. After all are we not "27 years in to this health crisis?" Here are my observations vs. the issues posed..

1. If "direct payment" option was a best practice for Doctors or providers, then why would a client have to inform ADH. Is there not a data base of providers who should get regular updates on how to access this system. Is there not a review of what providers are participating or why not?

2. Can it be that the novel idea of having a 1.800-HIV number that's actually "staffed" has been overlooked all this time. This one really behooves me, especially since I get "Text" messages from my cell provider on new products and get this, my dogs Vet's office sends canned courtesy calls reminding me of his appointments and "viola"-follow up calls to make sure that I'm "satisfied" with services rendered!

3. "Need Assessments?" Am I to understand that the ADH brain trust hasn't been tracking the positives and negatives of these programs and the agencies charged with facilitating these services? Whether it be a third party or whatever mechanism, this protocol is an elementary essential element of ensuring quality and certainly impact on the consumers.


These are just a few nuggets of the most likely ongoing discussions and conversations that will be taking place over the next few months. To my dismay this forum has only gotten "one" response to our postings about AIDS in Arkansas. Of course that's not a signpost of interest throughout the community. However, if there's so much disconnect with the HIV/AIDS consumers as alleged, where are their letters to the Editor, visible protest, op-ed pieces and all that it takes to get the attention of the power brokers. Meanwhile there are now calls for a Service Council, abolishing boards and such. As a former board member of AAF, the board although faulty certainly welcomed and sought end users openly. Yet, after being appointed some marginally paticipated others simply faded due to a variety of reasons. Furthermore, wasn't the mission/vision of the now decommissioned Positive Voices suppose to be a vehicle for "HIV/AIDS" consumers to have a distinct echo chamber for their concerns, assessments, training and open space designed to meet an abundant possibilities. I concur with the closing sentiment of the e-mail, "there is much to do still..." However, it seems to me that much has been done but I'm not sure by who or what standard. And so it goes......

No comments: