Thursday, March 20, 2008

ZEN STEW

AH, it's come around again, Spring! That wonderful point when Winter gives us one last blustry mix then storms out. I feel so blessed to still be around to continue to "stop and smell the roses."
In this post I've decided that I will take a diversion from the maddening parade that's going on around us and dive into the realm of spring fever while wearing rose colored glasses. I'll go back to the down and dirty tomorrow. Therefore, without further delay, here's my spring Zen Stew mix....


The Big Give: By now I'm sure most of you have seen or heard of Oprah's Big Give. Well, if not then brace yourselves. After reading some savage and rather unflattering reviews, I had to see what all the hub bub was about. Then I saw it and thought perhaps Miss O must have alot time on her hands not to mention cash to create this mash up of reality programming. The premise is this in a nut shell. A group of contestants are sent across the country in a "amazing race" format seeking "national treasure," using Laura Croft/Tomb raider" tatics to have a "touched by an Angel," outcomes as the Big O sits in her Harpo Oz suite sending out text message challenges. Then the contestant get "whacked" by the judges on whether they meet the bar on giving big. As means to add a little cheesecake to the offering comes in the way of O's favorite designer boy, Nate Burkis who's moonlighting as host. O.K. people, you've got to see if for youself. It was a wonderful yet wrenching way to spend an evening in the bliss abyss.


Brown at Your Door: I found this little ditty sorta uplifting especially since I'm always glad to see the UPS man walking up to my door with my delivery. You know I'm pretty busy these days and hitting up my fav internet site then having it sent to me is all the rage in my household. I've become a bit warry of those shopping malls and such. According to a blurb from our partner, Big Gay News, UPS Inc., the world's largest shipping carrier, is stepping up its supplier diversity efforts to include gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender-owned businesses. The Atlanta-based company said Tuesday it is partnering with the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce. I've seen their website and this organization is doing big things in a big ways. I'm considering joining in search of more of a hook-up. Last April I hosted a business After hours event with this type of concept in mind. However, it didn't quite take off. One feature of the chamber is that NGLCC-certified businesses now can register to participate in UPS' supplier diversity process, the company said. The process provides UPS business opportunities for small businesses and those owned by minorities, women, veterans and now lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals. The NGLCC represents the interests of an estimated 1.4 million businesses owned by lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender individuals, according to a statement issued by UPS. UPS, also known as United Parcel Service, is offering members of the organization a discount on UPS shipping services.




Detox Dinner: So you cook? Since it's a spring affair in this posting, I discovered this cute recipie for Zen Stew from another of my favorite online sources for stuff. From DeliciousLivingMag.com comes this simple entree item featured in the Detox Dinner section which will assist you enhance all your five senses. So invite some friends over and share. I'm going to make a batch after I finish with this post and If you do, let me know what you think. Here you go...




Zen Stew
Serves 4 / This soup delivers live probiotics through miso, plus valuable minerals from nori, a dried seaweed. Ingredient tips: Ramps, or very young leeks, are one of spring's first green foods; if you can't find them, substitute green onion or chives. Look for spicy nori strips or sheets in the Asian foods section.
2 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 cup water
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
½ cup roughly chopped red onion
⅓ cup thinly sliced carrot
1 cup cooked brown rice
4 ounces soft tofu, cut into ½-inch cubes
½ ounce tender ramps or green garlic (or 1 green onion), cut into small slivers
2½ ounces baby spinach
⅓ cup chickpea miso paste
½ cup warm water
1 ounce spicy nori, cut into strips
Remove stems from mushrooms and discard. Slice caps.
In a saucepan, heat 1 cup water and broth; add mushrooms, onion, carrot, cooked rice, and tofu. Bring to a low boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add ramps or green garlic and spinach; stir until spinach begins to wilt.
Combine miso with warm water, stirring to dissolve all lumps. Add to soup and mix. Serve in large soup bowls, topped with nori strips.
PER SERVING: 146 cal, 9% fat cal, 2g fat, 0g sat fat, 0mg chol, 7g protein, 30g carb, 6g fiber, 638mg sodium

Thought for the Day: "What have you done today to be proud?..."

QuickByte: www.DeliciousLivingmag.com There are plenty more fun items and thoughts from this site. I encourage you to click and enjoy. If you've got a favorite site that you want to share, then let us know.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a fan of "O" but I'd watch the show just to see Nate Burkis, oh my, what a delicious dish.