Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Expanding the Rainbow, Part 2

COP 24/7  Special
Race, Gender and Identity in the 21st Century

This is our part two of delving into the issues around the topics of race and gender. Last Sunday, CNN journalist and anchor Soledad O'Brien "Who's Black in America" series continued to peel back the veil of race and its overwhelming impact on those who are forced to "identify" in the words of some participants, "just what are you?"  I have found the series to be eye opening and often searing as it "takes you their" to think about your lived experiences and their aftermath.

Race has always intersected at numerous points throughout my personal journey, ultimately demanding me to assert my own definition of "who I am" and "what I am not." In this posting, we continue to look at this dilemma through a interesting  and robust discussion from the Facing Race 2012 conference produced by the Applied Research Center.

Although this piece is lengthy at 70 minutes, its worth the watch and learn moment needed to give you better insight as to how race, gender and identity needs a closer look. I hope that you enjoy it and thanks to the Colorlines archives on YouTube for allowing COP 24/7 to share it with you. If you've got comments, opinions or observations, feel free to hit us up!





 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cornelius, this was a great video. I think everyone should see this.