Monday, April 21, 2008

Golly Green Giant Cornelius....


















You, Me, and The Planet
EARTH DAY 2008


We've heard about an inconvenient truth, global this and that, as everything seems to be coming up green these days. Apparently, Kermit was ahead of the curve and the rest of us are bringing up the rear in a big way, including myself. I've never thought of my self as a "tree hugging" liberal 0r environmental zealot but, I've always been very conscience of my impact on as well within my surroundings. In salute of Earth Day 2008, COP gets mean, clean and green, expressing to you our personal efforts to be a better steward for the planet. I subscribe to the thought that everyone can make a difference and it all starts with you and me! So, welcome to the Golly Green Giant Cornelius spin down of ideas, concepts, products, websites and infotainment...




Keeping the home fires Green: As a homeowner for some time, you continue to learn that the landlord is staring back at you in the mirror. So, when repairs and updates come around, this is the perfect time think about using some "greeen" solutions to the problems. Let me be clear, that being green can significantly use some serious "greenbacks," if you know what I mean. But in the long run, it's worth it. Therefore, here's a quick run down on some of the choices I' made to run a better household, maximize my property investment, created some more cash intake and helped Mother Earth.





1. I had all the old toilet changed to new improved low flow toilets. This not only was aesthetically cute, but contributed to using less water, thus a lower H20/sewer bills despite rising cost. In case you haven't been in the market for a toilet, they are sold separately- base bowl and tank , and don't forget all the necessary parts needed so you want have to make that extra trip to the nearest big box retailer.





2. At first glance, I thought those funky compact bulbs were the strangest things that I'd seen in a while. Yet, I was intrigued, I read as much material I could muster, then had a energy audit of my home done. Viola, the audit resulted in my entire home being outfitted with compact florescent bulbs and a host of other energy improvements such weather stripping, carbon monoxide meter, updated programmable thermostat, electrical outlet gaskets and a savvy, eco-friendly insulation for my attic created from former Walmart plastic bags using a celuloise/borax solution. The rest of those pesky plastic bags are redistributed, (yes I take the time to do it) to other sources that use them for various purposes. It's all about the power of one...







3. With gas prices spinning faster than my odometer, both myself and my green partner in crime, JM have decided to decrease our city cruising on sunny evenings, furthermore we had our 5-speed, 98 Madza overhauled bringing it back online for super improved gas milage and performance. Yes my petties, chaining the oil, rotating tires and keeping your vehicle well kept can take you to new heights. Meanwhile, filling up our light weight truck midweek ( usually gas prices start to climb after Wednesday in lieu of the weekend) plus combining our grocery buying power via the Kroger Card/coupons, and purchasing gas using the discounted price offered resulting in a 10 cents a gallon savings.







4. Here are other quick options and solutions that I've used and profited from in my green pursuit.



Reinvesting my IRS Energy Tax Credit toward other energy solutions.


Re-evaluating my total recycling attitude( i.e. returning hangers to the cleaners, getting on my neighborhood recycling route, collecting those newspapers and reducing bottle water usage)



Staying focused on my carbon impact, usage and contribution to the environment.






Stonewall & Earth: The Arkansas Stonewall Democrat Caucus has a booth at the Arkansas Earth Day Festival, and we need volunteers! Comes the shout out from the local political organization. The Festival is on April 26 from 11am-4pm at the Clinton Presidential Center and Park.










To find out more about Arkansas Earth Day, visit http://www.arkansasearthday.org/ If you can help out by sitting at the booth for an hour (or more!) during the festival, please email Brett at stonewallarkansasevice@gmail.com with the times you are available.






Food for Thought: I'm a foodie and self taught chef known as The Catering Cornelius. I've had a spin around town in various restaurants, outlets and have had some pretty good parties to boot featuring many of own fusion creations. Since we are on the subject of going green, I can't help but take a moment to encourage you to not to forget about the value of putting some "green" within yourself. Each spring and summer, the bounty of wonderful fresh greens from area farmers markets and independents are abundantly available.









The Net has a horn of plenty of recipes and sources for your choosing. So here's quick summer salad that one of my favorite that I've adapted from a recipe at Delicious Living. It can be used as a side salad, entree or increase the amount and take it to your next pot luck. If you decide to put it together, call me, I'd love to come on over for a tasting....who knows maybe I'll have tasting and invite you. Let me know if you what you think!







Spring Affair Salad Bowl



Serves 8 / Choose a selection of spring greens — rainbow chard, dinosaur kale, salad lettuces. The vinaigrette makes more than you'll need and will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. Use it as a marinade for grilled tofu, salmon, or chicken. Ingredient tip: Look for bottled sweet chile sauce in the Asian section of your market







LIME-GINGER VINAIGRETTE (makes 2½ cups)
4 tablespoons chopped shallot1½ tablespoons chopped fresh ginger2 tablespoons minced serrano pepper3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro½ cup fresh lime juice¼ cup rice wine vinegar3 tablespoons agave nectar4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce3 tablespoons sweet chile sauce2 teaspoons kosher salt1 teaspoon ground black pepper½ cup vegetable oil


SALAD
½ pound mixed organic greens






1 cup julienned jicama






1 cup julienned carrot



1 cup julienned red bell pepper



1 cup julienned yellow bell pepper






1 cup julienned cucumbers



1 cup of Fresh Whole Corn



1 cup of Grilled Artichokes






1/2 teaspoon of Pepper Flakes



½ cup sliced or chopped water chestnuts



½ cup fresh cilantro leaves



Combine all dressing ingredients except oil in a food processor or blender and pulse for 1 minute. Slowly drizzle in oil and pulse to emulsify.
In a large salad bowl, combine all greens and vegetables. Drizzle with about 1/4 cup vinaigrette and toss. Taste and add more vinaigrette if desired.
PER SERVING: 45 cal, 28% fat cal, 1g fat, 0g sat fat, 0mg chol, 1g protein, 8g carb, 2g fiber, 118mg sodium (stats for original recipe)





Fast Fact Green Resources and links:



http://www.earthdayarkansas.org/



http://www.delciousliving.com/



www.kroger.com/Bagdesgin



http://www.earthday.gov/



http://www.earthday.wilderness.org/



http://www.energyhog.org/







Recycling near Little Rock
local.yahoo.com
Recycling Hotline(501) 340-8790 - 300 S Spring St, #200, Little Rock, AR
Get Directions
A-1 Aluminum Recycling Center(501) 372-5224 - 1300 E 9th St, Little Rock, AR
Get Directions
Waste Management Recycle Amer(501) 490-0733 - 7698 Sloane Dr, Little Rock, AR
Get Directions
Official site
More Results...






CorneliusOnpoint Eco challenge: To demostrate our committment to recycling and help us in off setting our operational cost. I'm challenging readers of this forum and beyond to clean up your E-clutter by sending us your old cell phones, chargers, etc, so that we may leverage them with an online provider who will offer us a remittance. If we get a big enough response, perhaps we will place collection boxes to help with this campaign! Can I count on you! Here are other items that you can get your own program started, TODAY! For more information contact us...



Recyclable Items
Plastic: Clear/green soda, water and juice bottles; Translucent milk jugs; any plastic item with neck having diameter smaller than base.
Paper: Newspaper with inserts; Corrugated cardboard boxes, flattened; Brown paper grocery bags, junk mail, magazines.
Cans: Aluminum cans; Steel beverage & food containers.
Glass: Clear green or brown food and beverage containers.
Drop-off Center; see Recycling Quick Link










DON'T FORGET TO VOTE MAY 20 IN THE LOCAL ELECTION, EVERY VOTE COUNTS !!!!

No comments: