Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Mid-week wind- up and pitch...

Ladies and Gentle and all who haven't decided, it's the Wednesday after the tax man cometh and most individuals are is in exhale mode. With that life marker now behind us, we can take a moment to dive back into the ball of confusion that we know as mother earth. As most of you know, I monitor the 24/7 news cycles almost in tandem while composing this forum, I do my damnest to keep it straight in 08 about what's really going on in the GLBTQI community and beyond. With that said here's the Wednesday wind- up and pitch...

Do not pass Go to Easy Street?: I couldn't help but notice the blurp in the Democrat Gazette's Paper Trails column penned by Linda Caillouet citing,"Hard times on Easy Street?"( 4.16.08). The item reported that the piano bar was either closing or has closed but definitely the phone has been disconnected. Not to mention that there was buzz of an "emergency fundraiser" in the air. You don't say! In case this is your first time reading this post and I hope it's not. I've been an ardent observer of this local watering hole for some time. Often asking pesky probing questions that have been apart of this establishment since it's soft opening a few years ago. It's been an interesting run trying to decipher fact from the fiction when referring to anything about this joint. If you will indulge me, let's recap a few of the speculation tales for old times sake, especially if the fat lady has truly sang. And now the organ music begins....



Chord 1: I was always puzzled as to the actual structure of Easy Street and was extremely curious about all the folks who were either working "investors" or "silent partners." I realize that businesses have investors but it seemed that many of them had varying terms or concepts of exactly what their investment consisted. I was equally intrigued with the grumbling from some of those same folks who said that they had not gotten any ROI ( return on investment) or had been promised some type of dividend that was problematic. That's fancy talk for "I ain't been paid nothing, yet." When I tried to confirm much of this discourse, usually that "investor" was no longer available for comment.



Chord 2: As many of you know, I've always been a supporter of our local flavor. Not only in this medium, but with my Benjamin's across the board. But, as a consumer and patron, I've minced no words about service perceptions or offing's from such places.For the record, I've printed rebuttals or denials front and center from any management which felt that I was unfair. On several occasions I noted that Easy Street seemed plagued with a changing cast of characters/employees, lapses of product offering,( i.e. sometimes they got this brand or just enough for the evening...), activities or fundraisers that sorta kinda happened or didn't, and
a host of other bizarre happenings that kept me guessing as to "what's going on here?" How could I forget the great "copper theft" story when there was no air conditioning in the venue and management stated that the copper wiring had been stolen from the AC unit? How could I pass up those whispers of months of back rent due upon receipt? Then let 's talk about diversity, Easy street seemed to be all things to everyone, game room, wine bar, theatre, art gallery, piano bar, topas bar and rooming house to boot!



Whew, that took a lot out me just thinking about it all. However, I must admit that I have had good times at Easy Street and usually found it's off beat uniqueness a good diversion every once in a while. The entire venture was an exercise in caberet style entertainment that featured it's own "Fritz Wendel," in the guise of Michael Henderson who belted out show tunes, welcomed patrons and was the grand spin master of it all. Boy, just for a moment I thought I was hearing the refrain that "life is caberet old chum, come to the caberet," when actually it was money makes the world go round. We'll keep you posted...



Religion Anyone: Obviously I mean to get as much as I can from my subscription to the DemGaz, our local paper. Especially when they pile up and I have several days worth of reading to do in an evening including the classifies which I consider important reading as well. After scanning the pages, I notice a brief little notice under,"special announcements" with the kicker, "New Beginnings Church." The ad went on to state that the NLR church is GLBT affirming and all are welcomed. So, if you need to a higher calling hook up, then they're waiting for you. For more info, call 501.851.3355

No comments: