Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Midweek Mash up & Mix Down


Today is the 290th day of the year, there are 75 days left and I've got a tanker load of issues, observations,news, commentaries and just plain ole stuff waiting in the wings for this forum. My intensity for producing this site has been tested and battered constantly since it's inception. Some days I wonder, "why am I up at 4:30 a.m. editing this madness?"or "anyone getting anything out of this?," or how about, "if there's no GLTB community to speak of, then what gives?" Yes, all these thought provoking tidbits cross mind, every time, and I mean every time, I hit the publish button. Can you say "bitter-party of one?" Well, not exactly, because I believe that this platform is still viable and necessary in this state. Therefore, we persevere as we take another spin out on the search for what' really going on...


Paper Vs. Laptop




Paper vs. Laptop has become a vital aspect in publishing circles as the world embraces digital version of popular publications. Especially in the rockem-sockem rainbow arena where there are so many elements at play and a blessed few advertisers. However, a few weekends ago, I was presented with questions about why Little Rock doesn't have a "Gay" newspaper or some type of printed entity with "community news," in it? What you say?

Wowy-Kzowy is what I thought. What are these folks talking about and why? The conversation continued with references to the "needs" of the "community" and some business people haven't been "asked" or included. Hold the Presses, was my next thought. Ultimately, the polite meeting ended with promises of a second encounter where we could further explore this. Well, I wanted to bring this idea to the table for discussion. I plan on posting a poll ( yes another one...) here and perhaps on the Sidetracks Yahoo site to gather input. I can't wait for the results.



Diversity Times: Speaking of local press or the lack of it. I had a chance to check in with Shawn and James, publishers of the defunct alternative mag, Pink Spectrum. They still have plans to resume there efforts and have been working on another prototype, entitled Diversity Times. According to them, advertisers have been inquiring, as well as, the general public. Therefore with this new found insight, the duo told me about there beta website where they will be "experimenting" with the concept. They said that they would like for me to take a look and give them some feedback. I have seen it and I wanted to share it will all of you to get your honest feedback. Go now to: http://www.diversitytimes.bravehost.com/ I'll be waiting...




Are U ready to be sick: Yes. The Kinsey Sicks will be performing their unique brand of humor ala barbershop quartet style in Conway, 9.18.07 at Hendrix College's Staples Auditorium. In case you don't remember, I posted a video piece about this troupe a few weeks ago and I will have my face in the place for all the fun. Why not, it's FREE! What else can you ask for when you need a cheap date. It's all going down at 7 p.m. I'll have a review posted here, Friday. Yall come on out!!!


BOO Bash Update: O.K. Here we go again, trying to pend down exactly the details of an area event. I've reported that the BOO Bash benefit was on, then moved, now I get an e-blast announcing the event on Oct. 27 at Sidetracks. All I can say is stay tuned.....


From the We ain't Crazy file: A new study has been released citing that Black Gay men, lesbians, have fewer mental disorders than Whites, says Mailman School of PH study. This interesting study from Columbia University journeys into the world of mental health consisting of a micro cross section of gay individuals. Dispelling theories that people of color experience more mental disorders than there white counterparts. I found it to be intriguing reading thanks to an intrepid reader of our forum who sent me the link. See there, I do read what you send me and often use it as source material. A big Thanks to ER for the shout out. If you want to read it for yourself and you should do so, check out the findings....it makes you go hmmmm. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-10/cums-bgm100207.php


Calendar Time: Last year we talk about the variety of calendars available that feature everything from beefcake to cheesecake. We will be showcasing many on our Myspace page next week. You will not want to miss our top 10 picks! Until then go on over for some streaming music and more talking points at: www.myspace.com/corneliusonpoint


GOT NEWS or just want to put you two cents in the machine, then go ahead, we're ready when-ever you are!!! Click the comment icon and come on out with it....

No comments: