Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday Wipeout

Can it be another hump day, yeah my friends it's on to the weekend, but for now, we can't get their without the mid week mash up. It's fast and furious, so fasten that seat belt and hang on!!

Obama Cash Deluge: I'm just wondering and perhaps so are you," just how much damn money does it take to do this campaign thing?" This week the O campaign treasure trove runeth over again with another 150 million dollar month. Then, after this announcement, I get a e-blast from the O mother ship stating that they were in need of a donation from "me as a valued volunteer" of at least $5 or more. Say what? Has the campaign already burned through that 150 Mil from September. I know that it' expensive to buy TV ads and such, but I haven't' even been able to get a free yard sign, button, or an autographed picture. I guess I haven't racked up enough volunteer value points to get anything but those "3" skimpy Obama stickers torn from a roll. Whew, if we are in an economic downturn, how does the campaign add over 600,000 new donors with extra dollars to toss onto the heap. According to Team O, the average donor is giving at least $80. Boy oh boy, will my $5.00 dollars really matter when I could go to the O Store and get one of those $25.00 T-shirts or other paraphernalia. However, I've learned that the turn around time on getting any merchandise has been sorta lengthy. But according to
David Plouffe, national OFA campaign manager, "we can't slow down...it's not to late to own a piece of the campaign." Oh well, I could just buy a yard sign too. But something that really caught my eye in this cash dash, was the report that the "O" Machine will be charging the media for access to their outdoor election night campaign compound in downtown Chicago. Talk about pay to play with the big boys. If they want to be where the action is really hot, they will have to fork over from $800 to $935 big ones to get a foot in the door. It seems that those planners for this cash shake down, said that it was to cover expenses. I guess the cost of standing around waiting for some one to comment on something is really expensive in Chicago.


GLBT History Month Blitz: Every now and then I keep wondering "why am I so driven to continue this effort? I know some are reading it and perhaps finding it helpful in some way. But then those " and why are you doing this thing that you do?" feelings re-emerge. All this month I've had a sidebar feature with a GLBT History viewer with some of the most notable trail blazing indiviudals on the planet. I even did a mini contest using this widget, but not to my surprise, no takers. Anyway. The GLBT History updates each day with a new bio and hopefully, it will educate somebody. Got comments, then you know what to do, click the comment icon and let it fly. I dare ya.
Eye on Huckabee: Have you seen it? It's our former Guv, Mike Huckabee live on Fox. After hearing about the shows debut, I couldn't wait to tune in to see what the huckster was up to. To my chagrin, that evenings guest was none other than that "Joe, the plummer guy." Golly he's getting a hell of ride on that fifteen minutes of fame train. Even though he's purportedly not a licensed plummer, I guess that doesn't take away from the fact that he could probably fix the pipe under my sink. Huckabee's format includes a in-house band called the "Little Rockers", live audience, seated guest and himself with an opening / closing monolouge. Actually it was pretty good, because Mr. H teetered between a Jay Leno/Oral Roberts type with his ever present down home wit. In a Q & A session, one audience member asked Huck, was there anything that he had yet done that he would like to do. He retorted that he had been a minister, politician, Presidental contender and now a talk show host. Hopefully he would be able to keep a job. You go Mr. H. You never know you too could be the next Maury, Montel or yikes!, Springer!

Getting your Early vote on: Already across the country we are hearing about the surge of early voters and locally it's getting into full swing. So, go my readers and VOTE. Here are some of the polling places you can do your civic duty:
In downtown Little Rock, early voting will take place at the Pulaski County Regional Building Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to4 p.m. The last day for early voting at this site will be on Nov. 3 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
At other locations around the county, polls will be open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The last day for early voting at these other sites will be Nov. 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The other sites include: Little Rock Sue Cowan Williams Library, 1800 S. Chester St.
Dee Brown Library, 6325 Base Line Road.
Roosevelt Thompson Library, 38 Rahling Circle.
McMath Library, 2100 John Barrow Road.
North Little Rock William F. Laman Library, 2801 Orange St.
Jacksonville Jacksonville City Hall, #1 Industrial Drive Maumelle Jess Odom Community Center, 1100 Edgewood Dr.
Sherwood Jack Evans Senior Citizen Center, 2301 Thornhill Dr.

No comments: