Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Which Way is Up and so much more!....



DL in SGL Community on Blast: Only if we were so lucky to have a ground swell of support for more arty expressions from the local black SGL community. Not to mention an outcry for something more than a club night or house party. O.K. maybe that's asking too much, or is it? Well, of course not. Now you ask, what does all this mean? It's the lack of alternatives that I've been hearing about from various individuals who say they wished we had more variety. Usually with pronouncements such as this, I start banging my head and my eyes start to fall back in my head. Yes, wouldn't it be wonderful if somehow the local black SGL culture could support more options than just a club night. I've got a novel idea, how about screening the new controversial movie, "Cover," from veteran director Bill Duke? Apparently, this movie packed the house during it's run during the 16th Annual Pan African Film and Arts festival held in L.A. and has been the subject of much chatter surrounding it' s treatment of that troublesome phenom known as the "Down Low." The film stars Aunjanue Ellis, Razaaq Adoti, Vivica A. Fox, Richard Gant, Mya, Louis Gossett, Jr., Leon, Paula Jai Parker, Roger Guenveur Smith, Patti LaBelle and Obba Babatunde, "Cover" tells the story of Ryan Chambers (Leon) who is murdered on New Year's Eve, the prime suspect is Valerie Maas (Aunjanue Ellis), a church-going homemaker whose life unravels when she discovers that her husband (Razaaq Adoti) of 15 years has been leading a double life. Her strength of character and faith keeps the family alive as a deadly disease threatens to destroy all that they have known. Sounds like a something to see? Probably so, only if we had a viewing audience who would solidly support such an effort, purchase advance tickets and be open to this type of programming. In the meantime, I've posted the trailer to give you some flavor of what's going on elsewhere among other progressive brother's and sister's whom are creating culture for themselves.

Community Center Concept: Since we are on the subject of novel ideas...across my in-box came some interesting speculation about a local GLBTQI community center in the greater Little Rock area. The idea is the brainchild of a few locals who believe that the time has come for such an entity to exisit although the actual "brick and mortar" portion would follow an online counseling concept that in a start up phase as well. According to group postings the organizers are in search of board members, funders, and volunteers. If you really want more info, you'll have to hit me with a E-note and I'll get you the hook up.

A delegating we Go: Have you Chipped IN today? Well, if you haven't, I've launched a little widget to help us in our funding quest to offset expenses as a delegate to the 2008 Democratic Convention in Denver, Aug. 25-28. I received my info packet and I'm poised for balloting in the District/Special Convention being held March 8 in Little Rock. The DNP has mandated a diversity platform stance and Arkansas' delegation will reflect that position. With that said, I'll still have to sway those other electors that I would make a good choice and represenative from the Natural State in the election process culminating in November's smackdown. The DNC Delegate fund is devised to help defer travel expenses such as ground transportation, per diems and lodging. It's easy as 1-2-3-... Click on the icon, follow prompts, and show your proud donation. I want to thank the first contributor for that $20 spot, I appreciate it. I opened the mail recently and to my suprise there was another donation. Got some frequent flyer miles to donate? Want to hold a funding soiree? Let's get creative! Can I count on you today?


No comments: