Friday, June 20, 2008

It ain't Rocket Science Friday

Here we are again, another week, another blog post from The Big Chair. Yesiree, one more under my belt for 2008 and I'm still ticking or either being ticked off by the world around me. What can you say, there's so much to cover in the 24/7 news cycle and then some, as I've learned over the past 4 years for producing this forum. But, never fear, I'm not done yet and don't think for a moment that I'm not going to continue to offer you more news, updates, commentary, video and sometimes just plain old stuff. Are you ready? Then let's let the chips fall where they may.




Music in Black: Did you know that June is Black Music Month? Well did ya? In case you didn't notice, I've posted clips from Donna Summer's latest release, Crayons, now in stores and downloads. I've listened to various tracks from I-Tunes and downloaded a fav, "STAMP" which is my summer Pride anthem. You can bet you will here it on our next podcast coming to you shortly. Summer's new music takes off in various directions, meanwhile showcasing her powerful vocals and creative writing. Although this outing has been judged against her past hits, I found the music fresh, smart, not to mention toe tapping fun. Local DemGaz newspaper critic, Ellis W. wasn't so enthusiatic about her choices and seemed to feel that somehow it was sorta beneath her. However, I beg to differ. Donna's music is just the tip of the soul music that you can find and purchase( yes, I said purchase) on the net. I've gone download crazy after finding many of my old favorites on sites such as Amazon.com to I. Tunes. Don't forget that I stream non-stop music on our sister site over at Myspace.


History Equals PRIDE: I'm always in search of partners and resources to help round out our offerings. I'm always thrilled and proud to showcase the various and well produced features from the braintrust at Equality Forum. This year will be just as thought provoking and certainly informative and as I've done in teh last 3 years, I will feature the entire series in it's self posting mode in this forum. Here's a blurb from a recent E-blast: "From Renaissance artist Michelangelo to environmental pioneer Rachel Carson, the 31 Icons for 2008 combined with the 62 Icons for GLBT History Month 2006 and 2007, are extraordinarily impressive," stated Malcolm Lazin, Executive Director, Equality Forum. Each day in October 2008, an Icon is featured with a video, biography, bibliography and other educational resources. The resources for GLBT History Month 2008 Icons will be available in October at www.glbtHistoryMonth.com. Educational resources for 2006 and 2007 Icons are archived on the site. GLBT History Month Icon videos are expected to be broadcast on Logo and here! and streamed on major gay portals. The videos are offered without charge to educational institutions, nonprofit organizations, for profit companies and the public.
"For a community deprived of its history, GLBT History Month teaches our heritage, provides role models, builds community, and makes the civil rights statement of our valuable national and international contributions," said Lazin.
Citizen I-Reports: A man is not a blog unto him self...O.K. I made that up, but, if you are interested in sharing your pictures, ideas, commentary, cartoons or news item with us then let's here from you. It's call interactiveness and I'm always on the hunt to get connected to the audience that's staying in the loop with us. So, drop me a line, a shout out or e-blast with what's on your mind. I dare ya to do it today!

No comments: