Tuesday, August 19, 2008

COP: Checking IN and OUT

In case you haven't noticed, 2008 is headed for the home stretch, as we prepare for the various other shoes to drop before the ball does on 2009. So far, we've had primaries, a continuing war, a housing bust, saber rattling, weird weather and shortly, the election of the next leader of the free world. Yeah, it keeps coming at us on a daily basis. But never fear, so do I from the Big Chair in search of commentary, links, news, updates and those classic "whatever" maneuvers in the GLBTQ community and beyond. Here we go again...

Lypsincka Me: It was another good time for a worthy cause last Saturday night at the DSRA clubhouse. As usual, I was welcomed back and felt right at home with the assembled cast as well as house royalty. Brian's (a.ka. Cherity) posted message reflected his heartfelt "thanks" and gratitude for the outpouring of support. As my alter ego, Cassaundra Manchester, I was once again proud to lend my talents to spreading goodwill as I've always done in the name of true excellence. Thank you staff, management, house royalty, fellow cast members and a special shout out to my girl, Mary K. Arden whom always keeps it really real, O.K. Until next time...



Waiting for Obama: Are you breathlessly waiting for the VP announcement? Well, maybe not, but it's coming some time this week or weekend. Just in time for the Denver mash-up next week. Unfortunately, I will not a chance to see it live as I had hoped, but there will be wall to wall coverage. Not only from the majors, but here too. I've got the Bouncing O hook-up with e-mail and TEXT, so just as soon as "O" phone's home. I'll be on the line to you. Want to know who I think will be the VP choice? After close consideration and consternation, my pick for the ticket (and should be Mr. O's) is...Senator Joe Biden (D) Delaware. Let's see how the chips fall. Do you have a choice, then share it with us.

Birthday Boys in the Rock: When I say that I offer community coverage, ya damn skippy I do! I was in the house of Easy Street on a Monday night to help celebrate the birthdays to two readers who requested my attendance. To my surprise, both Eric R. and Vernon S. have birthdays in the same month as me and my LTP. I always knew that August was a great month to be born into. Meanwhile, it was vintage ES, with Michael Henderson tending bar complete with hugs and kisses for everyone and a ever present bar back/waiter who kept the beer and wine coming. After making a somewhat late arrival, the evening was still enjoyable on the patio with stimulating conversation and a little shooting from hip Q talk on all manner of issues. I did inquire to sources to the fate of the piano bar and the various going's on that have been bandied about. What I heard was, "when it's all over, I'll be telling you first, all the details about what really was going on..." I guess we will have to wait for the real story on the back story. For now, the management and it's benefactors will trudge on or at least to the lease expires. I'll be waiting in the wings for the whole truth and nothing but...



Doing the Springs: Here's my final install of my R & R in Hot Springs last week. I complete the trip with a visit to Oaklawn's new "Gaming Room." As I closed my eyes and listened to the surroundings, took in the smells and envisioned where I could be, I thought Vegas? Tunica?, Buloxi? NO, I'm in Hot Springs, Arkansas! Yes, the sights and sounds of all those places seem so similar to the new gaming experience at Oaklawn. I was treated to bonus points with my new membership, since August is my birthday month and more points from a brochure I picked up at the hotel. Which resulted in my having some fast cash to take my chance at the "games of skill." If you don't what you are doing, the room comes complete with tutors to assist you with loosing your money, oh I mean taking a chance at winning points, redeemable for prizes from the games of skill. Wink. Wink. No matter what you call it, and according to some folk this ain't gambling. I had a smart time with those .99 Frozen Rita's, snappy music that kept my toes tapping, encouragement from the tutors & staff, all while dropping that hard earned currency to delight of owners. I also journeyed out to see the rest of Oaklawn, now in it's off season of live racing, but it's all a buzz with simulcasting from around the nation. I was somewhat surprised the crowd of people who were actually betting, and betting and still betting after my tasty Bloody Mary. It was not time for lunch in the Carousel Room, which was available all to myself and JCM's. The waitress was accommodating, friendly, informative and certainly made me want to come back. Especially for the game room member specials, such as a $1.99 Catfish Buffet or Fillet dinners, with pricing being based on your games of skill play. I lived in Hot Springs and never went to Oaklawn. Boy, what was I thinking. I can't wait til the next years season's for that live stuff, in meantime, maybe I'll save a few big head hundreds to take my chances at those games of skill.

No comments: