Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cyberland Me & U



Wow, is summer winding down already? Yesiree, therefore I'm in editoral overdrive with this weeks posting, before the long Labor Day weekend. I'm wasting no time putting it all out there in our special brand of commentary, links, updates, video and so much more. Enough already, let's get this started...




Lady O Speaks: The verdict is in, perhaps the Democrats are nominating the wrong Obama according to some reviewers of Mrs. O's speech last evening. Michele Obama step to the podium, beamed her gorgeous smile and told the delegates her heartfelt story. It was good TV and she made a impassioned plea to let the electorate know that she's a wife, devoted mother, and women for all seasons. In my mind I kept thinking is she having a Sally Field moment, "they like me, they really like me.!" Her scripted moment in the spotlight had to be a proud moment for her mother sitting in the balcony. The expression on her face was priceless as she watched her daughter reveal their struggles as a middle class family dealing with everyday issues. I believe that most likely those scenarios resonated with many in the Pepsi Center as well as the extended audience watching. You go girl, I just hope that you're ready to be in the fish bowl of being First Lady of the nation. I believe that you've got the moxie and that "sista substance" that it will take in the glare of the White House spotlight. Bravo, Mrs. O !


Dreamin in Colors: This week there's just history being made on all fronts including the 88Th Anniversary of the Women's rights's to vote, Barack Obama's Thursday night acceptance speech in Denver and then there's also the MLK "I Have a Dream" Commemoration. You can join in commemorating the 45Th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s, "I Have a Dream" speech with a day of film screenings and other entertainment at the Clinton Presidential Center. King delivered the famous speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial during the 1963 March on Washington. Festivities include a "Tribute to the March on Washington: An Entertainment Celebration," featuring special guests Gracie Carter of Little Rock who participated in the 1963 march and Joshua and Andrew Withers, sons of the late Ernest Withers of Memphis, a noted civil rights photographer whose photographs and prints will be on display during the commemoration. The commemoration is hosted by the Clinton School, the William J. Clinton Foundation and The College of Aspiring Artists. I've been to the Clinton Center for a variety of activities that result in valuable "teachable moments" and just plain old fun. Reservations required by emailing publicprograms@clintonschool.uasys.edu or calling 501-683-5239.


GayRock Cometh: What can I say, competition is good in the big tent of the Internet. With that said, enter, Gayintherock.com a new social networking website that is winding up and has plans for a send off this Thursday( 8.28.08) at Sidetracks, 9 p.m.. I plan on attending at some point, but don't they know the rest of the world will be in Obama Land? O.K. Now let's cut to the chase, I have no quibble with this venture, meanwhile feeling hey, the more the merrier! Maybe they think they can do that thing that I do, much better. Well, let me tell you that this thing that I do, takes more than just a few pictures, bullshit content and armchair visitors looking for a love connection of some sort. The web is littered with plenty of this type of diversion for those so inclined. Believe it or not, there are many other Arkansas alleged networking websites, portals and web pages that start then flame out. I know this because I belong to several that have no activity or in my opinion have a limited purpose. I've made overtures for partnerships and cross promotions, but have basically gotten the cold shoulder. On the other hand I've dealt with those other city "big talkers" who are all talk and no balls. Yet I'm appreciative of the OnTrack publishers who have been gracious with acknowledgements on the pages of their bar mag. It's unfortunate that this spirit of mutual cooperation is so elusive among the gay collective. Why the hate, you ask? Because COP: 24/7 is all about "keeping it real" as a independent shot caller in Central City. I say "bring it on!" For the record, this forum is 4 years in the making and counting!! Let me remind you that we are Arkansas' only daily based online destination for both local and national "real" news, updates, first in pod casting, video, and links, for the GLBTQ community and beyond. Hey, G-Rock staff, considered yourselves welcomed to the thunder dome! Hit em up at www.gayintherock.com

No comments: