Monday, January 19, 2009

Threshold to History

Even as we are on the eve of the threshold of history, I'm encouraged that we are in a break through mindset that will allow us all to not only believe in the impossible or improbable, but start a dialogue steeped in the mindset of "why not?" As an pre- Obama African American, I developed a curious as well as wide eyed view of the world from the stoop of my home on the south side of Little Rock. Growing up in a then, in all white neighborhood, it was sometimes confusing and often times trying in understanding my surroundings. Yet, I persevered and morphed into the Renaissance individual you see today poised for the future. It's been a hell of ride so far and I'm gearing up for a what's to come! Hey America are you ready to roll up your sleeves and get this thing back on track? Well, before you get to work, don't forget that we are your online destination for news, commentary, updates, links and so much more. It's all about "Opening your Mind in 09!" in COP 24/7 style...




Day ON- Not Off: I'm going to work despite the King Holiday. No disrespect to the this civil rights icon, but I honor his legacy with my own set of personal tenet's of personal responsibility, humility, service and pride. I can't count how many items by MLK that I've read or heard over my life time. As a student at Parkview high school , I went toe to toe with an English teacher who was rather opinionated about celebrating Black History or it's significance in the learning process. At that time, I didn't realize that I was embarking on a lifetime track of embracing the scope of the past, present and future of being Black in America. Who knew that I would be sharing much of this ongoing journey with you my dear readers in this digital age of techno gizmo's such as this forum. I wrote about how visiting the Lorraine Motel and King complex in Memphis was soul stirring and eye opening. My standing at St Louis Court house where the Dred Scott decision was handed down citing that Scott and his wife were considered nothing more than chattel. My viewing of the Emancipation Proclamation at the Clinton Presidential Library gave me a sense of how fragile this Republic has been, how this country has endured strife within extraordinary circumstances and ultimately the solid impact of both historical figures as Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, and numerous others. Then there's the extraordinary determination of individuals such as King whom continues to loom large intersecting with the election of Obama. The passages from King give so many affirmations, directions, observations and predictions including his prophetic words that a "negro would be elected to presidency" within 25 years of that speech. That powerful prospective again reminds me how his words continue to ring true in the 21st Century. A new day is dawning as I that wide eyed kid from the south side continues to bridge my reticence to the past as a man and my personal open arms to the future. Amen.

No comments: